Saturday, June 13, 2009

Pioneer Trek

I decided to write tonight while things are fresh in my brain! No idea if I ever will have pictures to post of this or not but you can just imagine. Below I have included a video that hopefully explains a little about the Mormon pioneers. We took our youth on a 2 day camping trip in which we dressed up like pioneers and pushed handcarts, ate pioneer food, etc. And let me tell ya I know it might sound awful but it wasn't!! Jed and I acted as Ma's and Pa's and were parents to 9 teenagers and one fake baby! (who unfortunately "died" on the trek and we had to bury our corn filled baby). Our kids were excellent! They were super excited and made the whole experience fun for everyone. They got up on their own and started building the fire for breakfast and everything. They were always willing to push the handcart and worked together as a team. We were really blessed to have such good teens! While at the trek, basically, the point is for the kids to realize how lucky and blessed we are not only to have the modern conveniences that we enjoy everyday but also, that the Lord has blessed us with an amazing legacy of faith. These pioneers were not really pioneers by choice but by force and yet, they still were able to keep their testimony of Jesus Christ and restoration of the Gospel on earth. We know we all have challenges in this life and how easy it is for us to forget God in our everyday lives. Yet, if we could have just the faith of a pioneer how much richer our lives will be. Hopefully, these kids increased their faith as they walked this week. Another interesting side note to this story is that we were out in the field setting up dinner when the storms came through on Friday afternoon. It was really something, one minute it was fine, next minute sheets of rain falling all over. We all went running to safety, and I could explain this all much more interest, in person, but needless to say there was a quite alot of excitement and chaos as 150 people tried to gather together and wait out the storm. Luckily, no one was hurt. Unluckily, our camp site was ruined and the Trek was cut short one day. Hopefully, I will be able to gather some photos together so you can check out our pioneer outfits.! There is so much I could say but you guys are done reading this by now!!! Please enjoy the video and feel free to ask questions!

3 comments:

Christine said...

Glad you survived Bridgette! WE just wanted to be like you with our own pioneer experience.

Susan said...

I was hoping you'd write about your experience. I was thinking of you guys while hiding in the bathroom - waiting out the sirens!

Rachel said...

I did a pioneer trek as a teen, and it was probably one of the experiences that stands out in my life as a strong testimony building moment. I grew so much from it! I bet you had an awesome time!