Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Pepper is almost out

The other day I was getting ready to make something in the kitchen and I went to get the pepper canister. I was very surprised ( and a little sad) when I realized I only had a little bit left. You might wonder why I felt this way about a can of pepper...but that pepper has lasted for 5 and 1/2 years. Remember when you first get married and you move into your very own house and then look around and realize you have NO food because both of you have been living with your parents before the wedding. Well, I do, and I remember going to the Walmart grocery store on Ridgeway and Mt. Moriah with a very long list on the essentials. I mean I had to buy everything you need to start a kitchen... and one of the things I bought was this pepper can. It has a good memory and feels like the pepper is telling me that a new part of my life might be starting.... (mmm.. maybe someone should come and check on me) anyways.. that brings me to my next point... Tell a funny a story about something dumb you did when you were newlyweds that involves preparing/making food... (if your not married then you can still share:) My grandpa Fearnley tells a funny story about my Grandma .. I'll have to get him to tell it to me again...


For example,

On the first night that I was going to make dinner for us, after our honeymoon and after we had gone back to normal life, I was going to make Jed's favorite: spaghetti. I was getting the water ready and had the meat all cooked and ready to put into the sauce when I realized that I don't know if we even have a can opener. I start to panic because I think this means our first dinner is ruined but luckily my grandparents lived less than 3 min. away... I called them asked them if they had a can opener I could borrow and 5 min. later Grandpa Hiatt was at my door with a handheld can opener! Whew! Now if only I could have figured out how to use it after he left.......

3 comments:

Dani said...

LOL I know what you mean!!!!! it's like, Have we been married that long? Isnt it great to be happily married? I just love you Val. I remember when Blake and I were first married and I wanted to bring him dinner at school. I made this elaborate meal that took me WAY too long, put it in tupperware, and brought it to him. Cute. But silly, becuase I never did it again!

Emily@emilysleftovers said...

OMG!!!!!! VAL!!!! I am SSSOOOO excited that you found me and that we can talk again!!!!! I am so sorry that it's taken so long for me to get back to you- I never go on our blog- Austin does all the posts- but he did tell me about your post and I have really, really, really been meaning to get back to you!!! How are you? You have two kids??!? I can't believe it! I remember when you called me and told me that you were pregnant right after my wedding! Tell me all about you! I can't believe it's been so long!! And I was reading your post and I was getting so nostalgic because I remember when Katie and I helped you move into that apartment that you first lived in right before your wedding and we put all those candles on the stairs and in your room and setting up all the furniture and everything!! Crazy!! And then I read the post below this one and I can't BELIEVE it!!! Rachel and you are connected tooo!!! How crazy that you happened to be talking about her in that post right when I am reading it! I am just like so amazed! I can't wait to hear beck from you!
Love, Em

Dawn said...

I remember a few weeks after we were married, I decided to make meatloaf. The recipe called for two CLOVES of garlic. I did not know what a clove was, so I proceeded to put two whole BULBS of garlic in the recipe. Chad then came home and saw what I was doing. We both had a good laugh!!! Ahhh.... the good old days!!!