Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Pictures from Trek

That us pulling our handcart down the first of many hills.
This is what they call the girl's pull. During the migration of Saints out west many men died along the trail from fatigue and others were sent to serve in the Mormon Battallions. (which was basically the mormon troops because we were being forced out of the United States) Thus it was not uncommon for the women to pull all alone. It might be hard to tell from the picture but it took about 4 extra girls per cart as compared to when the boys were helping. We had to push all 12 handcarts up this giant hill. The men were not allowed to help or talk during this period. It was humbling to know that the women had the faith to continue.
That is me in the blue bonnet leading the girls in my family up the hill.
This is our family. I'm in the pink. Jed is the super tall guy in the hat.
Our family eating lunch on the first day! Bread, apples, and warm cheese.

Guess what though! I'll do it again in 4 years!:)

2 comments:

Lavada said...

I really envy you that experience. It just wasn't around in my day. I don't think I could do it now. Which gives me more appreciation for those who did do this at my age.

Dave, Catherine, Chandler, and Callie said...

Wow! What great pictures. The part with the women's pull gave me chills. I hope I can do it in four years! You were definitely rockin' that bonnet!